Traditional summer condiments can take you well beyond your basic burgs and dogs. Mustard, mayo, ketchup, and hummus are versatile staples that can complement all kinds of meals in unexpected ways. So go ahead and buy the Value Size versions—you’ll put them to good use. Here’s some inspiration to start.
New uses for summer condiments
Unexpected ways to use all your favourite summer condiments.
Summer condiments, two ways
Mayonnaise: Consider it your new secret ingredient.
- For the fluffiest-ever pancakes, add 1 to 2 tbsp mayo to the batter.
- Mayo is also a must-have for extra-moist, rich chocolate cake.
Ketchup: Take it from everyday to gourmet.
- Chili Ketchup Sauce: This is as easy as mixing together Compliments Tomato Ketchup and Compliments Chili Sauce. Use it to elevate meatloaf or brisket with a sweet heat glaze, discover your new favourite flavour for ribs, add it to chili dogs, and try it as the base of a shrimp stir-fry with extra zing!
- Honey Ketchup Sauce: Stir together Compliments Tomato Ketchup, Compliments Soy Sauce and Compliments Honey; it makes for an absolutely succulent sweet-tangy grilled chicken glaze. Or make a batch sans soy sauce and use it to glaze grilled ribs, wings, or steak.
Hummus: Merits main-course status.
- Turn it into a creamy, tangy, and protein-rich one-dish summer pasta. In a casserole dish, toss two big handfuls of cherry tomatoes with lots of olive oil, oregano sprigs, sliced garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread 1 cup hummus in the centre; top with a large chunk of feta and drizzle with more olive oil. Bake in a 200°C (400°F) oven until tomatoes are soft; mash with a fork. Stir in cooked pasta, adding some pasta cooking water to the sauce.
- Try hummus-crusted chicken—crunchy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, and flavourful from the first bite to the last. Brush skinless boneless chicken breasts with oil and season with salt and pepper. On a prepared pan, spread a thin coat of Compliments Naturally Simple Hummus over the top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle lightly with roasted garlic & sweet pepper seasoning, and bake until chicken registers 74°C (165°F) on an instant-read thermometer, 30 to 35 min.